Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My thoughts on the Olli trade...finally


I was called out by my friend, and fellow Panther message board poster, Erick for not giving my thoughts on the Olli trade as I said I was going to. So, here goes...


I've always been a fan of Olli Jokinen's. He was able to be a point-per-game player his last several years as a Florida Panther despite not having a true first line forward to help him get there. With linemates such as Josef Stumpel, Brett McLean, and Richard Zednik, Olli had little help on the top line. He used to be pretty good with the fans, stopping after games to give his autograph, and used to play hard.


However, the last couple seasons it seemed he wasn't as interested in the team or it's fans. He and fellow teammate Nathan Horton took off from a charity golf event where fans and sponsors paid a lot of money to be able to play with Panther players. Instead of staying and playing a game of golf, they took off and apparently decided to attend a strip club instead. Some say this isn't really a big deal as it was "just a golf tournament." However, people paid they're hard earned money to be there, to play with the team captain and one of it's best players, and they left like kids skipping school. I don't see how it's not a big deal!


He also began to float on the ice, rather than play hard and give his all. He seemed uninterested at times, as if he was trying awfully hard to get his coach, Jacques Martin, fired. If he didn't want Martin around any longer, that wasn't the way to do it.


Olli was traded at the draft to Phoenix for Keith Ballard, Nick Boynton, and a 2nd round pick. While it wasn't the return many Panther fans were expecting and may have not been 'enough,' I believe it is a solid return. Ballard is a young defenseman who loves to throw the body and is willing to drop the gloves to defend his teammates. He's also a tenacious defenseman who will work hard to move his opponent from in front of the net. Boynton is a mean player who takes little and is also quick to defend his teammates. This move shores up the Panther defense and moves out a disgruntled player who, like the Panthers, needed a change of scenary.


I appreciate Olli and wish him nothing but the best. I'm thankful for his team here in Florida and hope to see him in the playoffs with the Coyotes in the coming seasons.


Thanks Olli!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is true that Ollie was losing some of his steam after the Longo trade. He and RL had been together since their Islander days and I think Ollie was unhappy about how the trade went down. However, I belive that after the accident with Richard Zednick, Ollie really was not the same anymore. He is still one of my favorite players on the Panthers team but he had lost his edge. It is a pity because I think he really wanted to make Florida his home for a very long time to come.

R.T. Beese said...

I agree, the "Zednik incident" really changed Olli. It seemed to have riled him a lot more than he let on. Still, I was at the last two home games and he didn't seem at all interested to be there.

I think he'll do well in Phoenix and I really just wish him the best. I'll be paying close attention to them this upcoming season.

R.T. Beese said...

By the way, thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online