Sunday, August 3, 2008

My encounters with NHLers




I managed a Blockbuster store while in college and worked for a pool service company to learn the business before opening my own. I was able to meet a lot of pro athletes as a lot of them lived in Boca Raton during their offseasons. Everyone from Mike Tyson, Leonard Marshall, both Bure's, Jaroslav Spacek and Chris Carter to Ryan Johnson, Radek Dvorak, my favorite Paul Laus. At Blockbuster, most would call and ask for me. I never asked for their autographs (except when the team was having a session) and would put movies aside for them so they could get in and get out. Most people wouldn't realize who they were until they were long gone. Paul told me that the guys really appreciated me allowing them to dictate the conversations and not ask for things. I'm still friends with Paul and we still email each other.



Worked on Robert Svehla's pool weekly. He would come out and ask how things were, chat about the Panthers and what we were up to. Really nice guy, gave great Christmas tips, too.

Spacek, Dvorak, and Ray Whitney would talk a bit, but Whitney only said hi once.

Pavel and Val I rarely saw, they were nice when I did. Didn't talk much, just exchanged pleasantries.



Enforcer Paul Laus was far and away the best guy to all of us. He would chat for awhile when he came in and never called ahead. He'd get stopped, but was always very nice to people. First time I met him he had a late fee and wasn't sure why. I was called over and didn't look at him, didn't notice til I saw his name on the screen. Looked up and said hi and took care of his fee, as it really was our fault. He thanked me, but was pretty distracted with his new(er) born.





Last summer the tem had a 96 Finals Run reunion game. He emailed me to ask if I'd be there, which I of course told him I was going to be. He took pictures with my daughter, who had a Panther onesie that my wife sewed him name and number on the back of using a kit we got on ebay. He git a big kick out of it and then gave us VIP tickets so we could get up to the post game lounge. They were a few hundred dollar tickets. A lot of the players were milling about as fans asked for autographs. Paul was mobbed more than Jovo, Boyle, Potvin, or the rest of the guys. He's just been so good to all of us. He kept looking over at us, nodding to let us know he'd get to us soon. After over an hour, he came over and met my wife, talking to us for almost 30 minute. Was great. My wife was floating, she'd never met a pro-athlete or anyone famous. With all the guys there and Paul spending time with us, she was really excited.


Met Hall of famer Denis Potvin at church last Christmas, was a really nice guy and very down-to-earth.



0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online